Strategic and business management is one of the three categories of the PMI Talent Triangle. The other two are leadership and technical skills. To maintain a PMP or CAPM certification, project managers must complete Project Management Institute's Professional Development Units (PMI PDU) in each of the three categories.
The strategic and business management skills are business oriented skills such as
- competitive analysis
- strategic planning
- business acumen
- legal and regulatory compliance
- operational functions (examples: finance, accounting, marketing)
- industry knowledge and standards
Some topics that fall into this area are
- Aligning Projects with Organizational Strategy
- Agile programming
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Business cases
Check out the Management category for some other potential content.
Related: SWOT analysis
- How to Categorize PDU According to PMI Talent Triangle for PMP / PMI-ACP by Edward Chung. May 18, 2016.
- American Management Association(r) (AMA) Strategic & Business Management Qualifying PDUs Courses
- PM Podcasts: PDUs: Strategic and Business Management (multiple podcasts)
- PDU Now Strategic and Business Management courses
- Edward Designer: How to Categorize the PDU Activities According to the PMI Talent Triangle? by Edward Chung
- ↑ Payette, Jay. "Episode 385: Aligning Projects with Organizational Strategy (Free)". PM Podcasts. Recorded 2016.